Saturday, 17 December 2011

Shiny...

As my pitiful post count attests, I have not been blogging much at all these past several months. I haven't been any busier than usual, even — just not inclined to do much baking, and not getting out to any noteworthy vegan events or restaurants.

Finally I realised the only way to revive my baking mojo was to jump right back in — with a bit of help from Bowie on the stereo, and some shiny objects to draw my attention.

I happened to start today with my first green smoothie in quite a while, too — and few things say, "Look out, this vegan's back in the kitchen!" better than that beautiful, toxic sludge-coloured spinach-banana ambrosia...

IMG_8448IMG_8452

Got a shot of (some of) the ingredients and utensils, too. Oh yes, that's right — big day Chez Drossolalia.

Within a couple of hours, I had these pretty little things: passionfruit cupcakes with white chocolate icing, cachous, and some shards of a toffee of sorts (slightly undercooked, I think) or maybe "nutless nut praline" if you prefer.

Passionfruit cupcake with white chocolate icing, cachous and toffee shards

Happily, they tasted equally pretty. I'm surprised they rose properly, considering all the passionfruit pulp I added to the batter. Must be the mojo...!

Passionfruit with vegan white chocolate icing.

I have to admit this last photo might be one of my favourites of my own, of cupcakes or otherwise. It's at this point I also admit that the toffee was almost inedible — far too sticky and not nearly brittle enough to break with your teeth — but considering what professional food stylists get up to, I'm giving myself a pass on the "questionable garnish" front.

Close-up of the... toffee is the word for it, I suppose.

No comments: